Thursday, October 28, 2010

A new twist on some old Tales



Having been an English Literature Major in University I read my fair share of classics (even though my mom could not believe I had never read Wuthering Heights, which I have now!). So when these new hybrid of books which are “collaborations” between Jane Austen and contemporary writers came along I was all over checking it out, especially after having read both Sense + Sensibility and Pride + Prejudice during my school days. Much like amusical “mash-up” these expanded texts combine material that at first seem to be complete opposites and somehow make it work.

While in the midst of a heart-to-heart Ms. Dashwood & Ms. Steele are accosted
by the dreaded fang beast
Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy find love while slaying zombies

Both classic Jane Austen tales are given a twist with the introduction of additional text that adds to and oddly compliments the original text. Adventures involving Zombies and the butt-kicking Bennett sisters and Sea Monsters and the lovelorn Dashwood girls are seamlessly interwoven with Austen’s original material. Ben H. Winters adds the deadly aggressive sea monsters to Sense + Sensibility, and Seth Grahame Smith litters Pride + Prejudice with man eating zombies.

I recommend giving these a read whether you are familiar with the originals or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails