Thursday, August 25, 2011

Let my garden grow...

...or actually my Dad's garden! As I patiently wait for my lovely sparkly new apartment to be completed my parent's have generously let me take over their basement, while there are some cons to being back with the 'rents there are definitely some perks as well. Such as having the ability to plunder my Dad's very productive veggie garden.

Can you believe this little veggie oasis in the city!

My Spoils for the day: 2 cucumbers, 2 zucchinis, a mini mountain of cherry tomatoes, 1 paddy-pan squash, a good handful of green beans, and just a sample of the field of basil growing out there. Really looking forward to the corn being ready. There is probably another 15 different types of veggies growing out there, it is really quite impressive, the possibilities are endless!



Since my parent were out of town it was up to me to polish off all these veggies so night one I chopped up a bit of everything and tossed it in some barley with crumbled feta and just some olive oil and balsamic, it was delicious, hearty and healthy. You could also do this with couscous or a small pasta. I left all the veggies raw, including the zucchini and paddy-pan because I like the crunch.



Night two I tried to finish off the cherry tomatoes by saunteing them with some onion and garlic and tossed in the blanched green beans, added some chicken broth to make a bit of a sauce and threw in some nice prawns and soaked it all up with some crusty bread. This would have been perfect tossed with some penne but I was trying to be good since I had scarfed down all that barley already.

xo J



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails