Friday, October 21, 2011

The Night Circus

The circus arrives without warning. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. The towering tents are striped in white and black, no golds and crimsons to be seen. A black sign painted in white letters hangs upon the gates. 'Opens at nightfall Closes at Dawn'"


- Erin Morgenstern



When I don’t have a book to read I feel like there is something missing from my day. Most weeknights I end my day by getting cozy in bed and reading for 20 to 30 minutes. It calms my mind, takes me away from whatever is lingering from work, little annoyances and worries and helps me slip into a restful sleep. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern was the perfect book for this and I purposely took my time reading it to really take advantage.


Two young magicians are entered into a competition as young children without knowing the full set of rules or consequences of what they have entered into. The mysterious Circus serves as their playing field and so much more. Morgenstern is not a complicated writer, her writing is simple and clean, but the story has a smooth flow despite jumping chronologically back and forth. Even the circus itself becomes an intriguing character of its own, one that you wish could just magically appear in your own town one day.


For me, the simplest pleasure is getting lost in a good book, this fulfilled that that on every level.


xo J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails