Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Homemade is the best made!

Since I wake up fairly early on weekdays I am never in the mood for a big meal in the morning so breakfast for me Monday through Friday consists of my latte and a yogurt (vanilla to be specific, it's the only yogurt flavour I like, I know boring right). The problem with that is as 10:00 am rolls around and lunch is a far off 2 and half hours away my stomach feels like it is eating itself. So to boost up my breaky I like to toss a bunch of my homemade granola on to my yogurt.

This is a really easy and fast granola to make, especially if you buy all your nuts pre-chopped and really to me so much more delicious than any store bought one, especially the organic super yuppie expensive ones.

The best part is you can put in WHATEVER you like, my favorite combination is:


  • 4 cups of oats

  • 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds

  • 1/2 cup of chopped almonds

  • 1/2 cup of chopped pecans

  • 1/2 cup of shredded coconut

  • a very liberal sprinkling of cinnamon (I like a lot of cinnamon!)

  • 1/4 cup of vegetable or sunflower oil

  • 1/3 cup of honey or maple syrup

This is where it gets a tad messy, really the best way to fully incorporate the oil and honey/maple syrup is to get your hands in there.



Pre-heat oven to 350, once you put the granola in it should take about 20 minutes or until a nice golden brown. At first I only check on it about every 5 minutes, giving it a bit of mix with a spatula so the oats evenly brown but in the last 5 - 7 minutes I check it more frequently as it starts to brown quickly (the very first time I ever made this I burnt the crapola out of it). You'll know it is getting close to ready when the sweet smell of cinnamon permeates your kitchen.


Put in an air tight container and enjoy for the next few weeks. I meant to take a picture of my yogurt and freshly made granola but then I ate it too fast!


xo J



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails