Monday, December 5, 2011

Best Bites #3 & 4: Heirloom Tomatoes & Castelvetrano Olives

Here are a couple notes before I begin:


1. I am not a picky eater but I really hate olives, this was the first time I willingly put an olive in my mouth in maybe 20 years.

2. This is a pretty lofty task we have taken on, completing this list of 101 best bites, so we may cut some corners here or there.



With that being said last week we knocked a whole group of items off the list (I'll be back later this week with a review of on of the beverages on the list and Jenny has a few items stockpiled to review). One meal alone we were able to taste 4 items! Two of which were the Castelvetrano Olives and the heirloom tomatoes.


So basically my teeth punctured the skin of the olive and a had to cleanse my mouth with a good swig of wine, that is how far my dislike for olives go, and what is it about them you ask? Good question and one that took me a few minutes to formulate, it is the brine-y-ness! And according to the 4 olive lovers around the table these were low on the brine quotient and got two thumbs up all around. So basically, I wouldn't put any olive any "best" list but if you are an olive fan don't listen to me and give these guys a try.


Second was the heirloom tomatoe, and this is where we cheated slightly, as these were from California and I suppose the best bites of Vancouver should probably include tomatoes actually grown in this province, but we figured we got the gist of it. While the red heirlooms tasted just like regular tomotoes that were slightly past their best before date, the purple ones were the perfect firmness with great flavor, and really were at their best with just a sprinkle of salt and good quality extra virgin olive oil drizzled on top.


Stay tuned for more bites!


xo J

Both items can be found at WholeFoods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails